The 2016 Lunar New Year, the year of the Monkey, will be Monday, February 8. On February 6 & 7 the Lunar New Year Festivities will be celebrated at the Orange County Fairs Grounds in Costa Mesa, CA (2.2 miles from Crowne Plaza).
• Schedule: Parking at the Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa (usually $10/day) will be free for those attending the event on Saturday, February 6; and included in the reduced rate for those staying overnight at the hotel.
• Jeff Sullivan: “Little Known California Photo Opportunities”
Sponsors: Sponsor Registration
Event Location: (Link NOT for Hotel Reservations)
Promenade Ballroom, Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa
3131 S. Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Maps and Directions:
• Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Floor Plan
• Driving Directions, GPS Location: 33°41’5.31″N 117°53’10.24″W
Arrangements have been made with the Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa for a block of rooms, one King or two Queen Beds, usually $179 plus $10 parking, for $129 including parking. To receive this reduced rate click: February 2016 Chapter Event. Cutoff for reservations at this rate is January 22, 2016.
On Friday, February 5th from 2:30 pm until after sunset (Sunset: 5:26pm, Twilight: 5:52pm) there will be a two-part photo walk-about at Huntington Beach Pier (8.5 miles from Crowne Plaza). The first part will be models in traditional Vietnamese dress to celebrate the Lunar New Year posing in outdoor locations. As it gets dark, the second part will have participants photographing the pier with the sun setting. Members will need to register for one or both parts of the Walk-About when registering for the event in order to receive further information regarding these activities. Those attending will need to pay $1.50 per hour, to a $15.00 daily maximum, for Beach parking. Participants will be asked to submit some of their Walk-About photos to be posted on the Chapter web site following the event.
• San Joaquin Marsh & Wildlife Sanctuary: A marsh encompassing over 300 acres of coastal freshwater wetlands and quality habitat; 5 Riparian View, Irvine, CA; Google Map for Riparian View Entrance off Campus Drive; Map of Sanctuary; (4.6 miles from the Crowne Plaza); Open from dawn until dusk, 7 days a week; Admission and parking are free.
• Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve: A 1,300 acre coastal estuary including open water, mudflats, salt marsh, coastal dunes, seabird nesting islands, and freshwater marsh; Two public parking lots: the north lot on Warner Ave near Pacific Coast Hwy (SE corner of the intersection), the south lot on Pacific Coast Hwy across from the State Beach; (12.5 miles from the Crowne Plaza); Open from dawn until dusk, 7 days a week; 714-846-1114; Admission and parking are free.
•Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge: 911 acres of remnant saltwater marsh in the Anaheim Bay estuary that serves as a significant stopover and wintering area along the Pacific Flyway for shorebirds, essential habitat for three endangered species: the light-footed clapper rail, the California least tern, and the Belding’s savanna sparrow; 800 Seal Beach Blvd., Seal Beach, CA 90740; (14.4 miles from the Crowne Plaza); Open from dawn until dusk, 7 days a week; Refuge is on an active military base and access is restricted; 562-598-1024; Admission and parking are free.
• Aquarium of the Pacific; 100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA 90802; (20.9 miles from the Crowne Plaza); 9:00 am to 6:00 pm daily; 562-590-3100; Admission: $28.95 Adults, $25.95 Seniors; Parking $8 for Aquarium Guests.